Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Blog is Not a Dissertation

 
It has been exactly one week since my last post.  Yes, I have been busy, but this is no excuse.  The truth is that I am overwhelmed by the enormity of this project.  Thankfully, I now realize that I was completely missing the point of blogging, thereby sabotaging my own project.
 
On Thursday evening, the previously mentioned handsome Latino man, who I am proud to now call my boyfriend, took me out to dinner.  As we sat in the dimly lit room of Lula Cafe in the heart of Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood, we talked about everything from our shared love for food to our dream vacation destinations.  We also talked about blogging.
 
It just so happens that the handsome man who sat across from me at Lula's is a a very skilled, professional writer.  He is very supportive of my project and gave me some great advice that I believe will help me continue in my journey.
 
In discussing the blog, I couldn't help but reveal my excitement over certain discoveries I had made  in my studying and practicing.  I also couldn't help but disclose my frustration over my inability to make decisions and failure to write another post.  I shared how I listened to and compared several recordings, how I found materials from years past when I first started this project, how I started researching which video camera to buy so that I can record my interpretation of each movement. 
 
He finally asked me "So why didn't you blog about each of those things?"  I wanted my next post to be a complete, scholarly treatise on Bach's Prelude from Suite No. 1 in G Major. I expected myself to have it all figured out before I wrote anything down. It was kindly explained to me that each post doesn't have to be and shouldn't be a profound work of art.  I don't have to wait for an epiphany to hit me to warrant writing a post.  The point of my blog is  to include the reader in the process of fulfilling my goal, and I am determined to do just that from now on. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment