Thursday, January 24, 2013

Becca Does Bach

 

 The title is meant to grab one's attention. My love for alliteration tempted me to name this blog "Becca Bangs Bach", but I decided that was a hair too vulgar. No, this is not a musical rendition of Debbie Does Dallas... sorry to disappoint.  This is a chronicle of my journey with the infamous Cello Suites of the famous Johann Sebastian Bach.  
 
I turned 30 last July.  I found my late 20's to be very scary and stressful as I dreaded entering a new decade.  As if my life would end at 30, I made a VERY ambitious list of all the things I wanted to do before that inevitable day:
 
Things To Do Before I Turn 30
 
1) Create my own edition of the Bach Cello Suites and record
2) Record all the Popper Etudes and write a supplementary practice guide
3) Run another marathon
4) Get married
5) Learn Spanish
6) Create a website 
7) Read more books (vague, I know)
 
I'm sorry to say that I accomplished none of these things except for the final item.  In fact, I hardly got started on any of them.  I did run two half marathons (does that count?). I managed to get engaged, plan a wedding, and then call it off (does that count?).  I also started the process of studying the suites along with the etudes, but I didn't get very far (does that count?).  Oh,  and I started dating a handsome Latino who speaks Spanish (does that count?) 
 
I now find myself as a 30-year-old woman in the "unlucky" year of 2013.  Considering I accomplished none of my goals last year (besides some serious self reflection),  I've decided to make 2013 my lucky year.  In my excitement, I considered writing a blog about each of the items on my list....
 
just kidding.  I'm not that ambitious.  
 
Yes, I am attempting to tackle most of these goals (minus the marriage one), but this blog will only document my journey with the Cello Suites.  I'm sure that some of my personal life and goals will sneak into the blog, but I will try to keep it focused on cello, Bach, and the love of my life.... music.
 
If you are a cellist you know what I mean when I say "my struggle with the Bach Cello Suites".  We have studied them for years - worked on every movement with several different teachers who all had differing opinions and interpretations.  We have played them in juries, recitals, auditions, weddings.  The difficulties I have faced in preparing these pieces have brought me to tears, BUT the beauty within them has also brought me to tears.  For this reason, I owe it to myself and to Bach to understand this music to the best of my ability.  Sure, there are movements throughout that I know really well and have analyzed in every way possible, but I want to be intimately acquainted with all of them. My plan is to work straight through from the Prelude of Suite #1 to the Gigue of Suite #6.  I'll be cross-referencing the 4 manuscripts we have, studying baroque ornamentation, listening to recordings, and sharing my discoveries with you. I hope you enjoy following my journey with Bach, and I would love to hear your thoughts and comments as well. 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more about your journey with our beloved Bach Suites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea! I only know them from a violist perspective but. . . rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've already heard from two violists and one bassist. Forgot how special these Suites are to so many - even those who aren't cellists!

      Delete
  3. Love the title! And the idea. Enjoy and I look forward to knowing those amazingly brilliant works better because of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, so glad you are interested in my project. I could definitely use your input as I need to study the Partitas. Which edition would you suggest?

      Delete
  4. I'm only half-way through the "sweets", and I've been at them a long time. Of course, I'm a bass player, and it's a huge challenge just to play the notes. I think it's a lifetime work to examine, sort of like a holy book of proverbs that I can't understand until I've let them sink in for a long time. I never find myself settled permanently on an interpretation, which only make me respect this epic work even more. I'll be very interested in following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely LOVE that you refer to them as the "sweets" - almost makes me want to change the title! I really admire you for tackling these pieces - they are hard on the cello, but my jaw drops when I watch a bassist perform them. I am aware that my interpretation will change throughout my life - there is a reason that even Yo Yo Ma has made more than one recording. Please feel free to give feedback - I am so excited to hear from all my friends and colleagues who love Bach as much as I!

      Delete
  5. Though not a musician, having listened to your practicing and playing these suites for about 20 years, I have grown to love them. I have fond memories of your calling Dad and me in while you were practicing. You would say, "I'm going to play this part two ways. Tell me which way you like best." I would usually come up with something clever like, "I think both ways sound great," while Dad would launch into an expose on why one way was better than the other. We both will be looking forward to reading your blog. I think Bach would be delighted at all the attention. Won't it be fun to finally meet him in heaven one day? What a conversation you two will have! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember Mom, you ARE a musician! You taught me piano from the age of 4 until I rebelled and you decided that I needed another teacher. You taught me how to read music and helped to instill a love for music in me.

      I recollect with fondness the days of playing for you and dad. To this day, it is exactly the same (i.e. when Beth and I were practicing for grandpa's service you and the Hesters were so pleased, but dad kindly pointed out what I could do better).

      Thanks for reading, Mom. I love you

      Delete
  6. This is a message from a colleague of mine, Frank Babbitt. It was originally sent in a message on facebook:

    Hey, congrats on launching your blog. I just wanted to share with you what I think might be interesting to read about as you go forward, namely your own personal interpretative choices/struggles with these monumental masterpieces. What is it that really speaks to you and moves your soul? Ornamentation, bowings, and articulation are just part of the larger picture. What do imagine when you begin the prelude of the first suite?
    Congrats on this wonderful project. Hope I'm not over stepping in offering this.
    Looking forward to following your musical journey.

    Best,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Frank,

      Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and advice. You are so right! I hope to "decide" (as I know it will change throughout my life) on an interpretation that is a combination of Bach, period technique, modern technique, and personal preference. I'm already struggling with the sound I prefer in the G Major Prelude versus what is indicated in the manuscripts! Gosh Darnit, I love slurs!
      Please continue to give feedback as I love talking shop with fellow musicians.

      Rebecca

      Delete
  7. This sounds so interesting, Rebecca. Most of the sheet music from my formative years is somewhere in my parents' house (apparently, unfindable), but the music I've managed to not lose and carry around with me (even to the Asian continent) is the Bach cello suites (for viola...). Not that I'm a regular practicer these days, but a few weeks ago i did pull a few out and play them again. It was interesting how I already noticed ways I was interpreting them differently just from having lived a lot more life than before. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andie, so awesome that you still have your viola and get it out once in a while to play. I hope this inspires you to get it out a little more often and reconnect with the suites. As a busy mom and missionary I'm sure finding time for yourself is not very easy. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hi my question is rather obscure but I wondered if you could help me I have been making a note of the characteristics of music and I have been unable to find a breakdown for G# Minor could you offer an opinion. Many thanks x

    ReplyDelete